Welcome!
Read some words, view some photos or listen to some tunes...
even when real life gets in the way


Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The love of Vivaldi

I have a strange ability to remember pieces of useless information. One thing that I seem to remember frequently is the music I hear in films. I can remember the sound for years, even decades, without even knowing the song title but I never forget it.

Case in point: Vivaldi's Mandolin Concerto in C Major. I heard this piece of music in a movie for the first time when I was a young girl. I was maybe 7 or 8. I watched a movie on television with my parents that involved a man who was beached on an island and he fell in love with a beautiful woman of the sea - no she wasn't a mermaid and no it wasn't Splash or The Blue Lagoon.

I didn't hear the music again until I was in my 30s but I never forgot it. In fact, just a few years ago I played it for my piano teacher on the piano from memory and she identified the composer and piece for me. Lucky for me the piece was written by one of my favorite composers. Before that, I could only name other works by him such as the Four Seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment